Sorry for not writing yesterday, i had a wedding to attend. This guy is my best friend from college. So couldnt miss it at any cost 🙂
Today i finished that book i was recommending everyone – Shantaram – phew ! a huge book but yet a good one. But i must admit, at some places – i would say a very few places – it becomes too philosophical and poetic. An amazing 933 page book that will make you stop – think, smile and sad all the same time. So here it is my view of this book and in the end i have also presented some of the quotes that i like from this book.
Rating: 4 1/2 out of 5.
This is how it goes–
This guy – Gregory David Roberts – author of this book “Shantaram”, a convict, robber, heroin addict from Australia, escaped the high security prison and lands up in Mumbai-with a false New Zealand Passport with a false name Lindsay. Here he establishes a health clinic in the slums of Mumbai- where he spent his initial years – made friends, travels to a village in Maharastra called Sunder, joins Mumbai Mafia-learns the tricks of passport forgery and money lending etc, fights with Mujahedeen in Afghan War, learns to speak Hindi and Marathi well, and also serves a 4-month sentence in Mumbai jail, acts in Bollywood movies and does almost everything and becomes a complete mumbaite.
In that small village of Maharastra, he gets a hindu name: Shantaram Kishan Kharre by Rukhmabai-Prabhaker’s mother. Also, he gets a name Linbaba from Prabhaker himself. He even expresses all the love for India and the people living in India.
Brilliant writing, an adventure being unfolded and a breath taking real-life story of Roberts – superb.
There are somethings that is been written in the book that i liked a lot and also will make one wonder what an amazing writer Roberts is.
– For this is what we do. Put one foot forward and then the other. lift our eyes to the snarl and smile of the world once more. think. act. feel. add our little consequences to the tides of good and evil that flood and drain the world. drag our shadowed crosses into the hope of another night. Push our brave hearts into the promise of a new day. with love: the passinate search for truth other than our own. with longing: the pure ineffable yearning to be saved. for so long as fate keeps waiting, we live on. God helps us. God forgive us. We live on.
– It took me a long time and most of the world to learn what I know about love and fate and the choices we make, but the heart of it came to me in an instant, while I was chained to a wall and being tortured.
– The past reflects eternally between two mirrors -the bright mirror of words and deeds, and the dark one, full of things we didn’t do or say.
– The simple and astonishing truth about India and Indian people is that when you go there, and deal with them, your heart always guides you more wisely than your head. There’s nowhere else in the world where that’s quite so true. I didn’t know that then, as I closed my eyes in the dark and breathing silence on that first night in Bombay. I was running on instinct, and pushing my luck. I didn’t know that I’d already given my heart of the woman, and the city. And knowing none of it, I fell, before the smile faded from my lips, into a dreamless, gentle sleep ~In his initial years in India.
– If you stare into its cold dead eye, the camera always mocks you with the truth.
– Truth is a bully that we all pretend to like.
– Happiness is a myth. it was invented to make us buy things.
– Luck is what happens to you when fate gets tired of waiting. ~one of my favorites
– A dream is a place where a wish and a fear meet. When the wish and fear are exactly the same, we call the dream a nightmare
– We carry oceans inside of us, in our blood and our sweat. And we are crying the oceans, in our tears. ~one of my favorites.
Now is this book for everyone – no it is not – as at some places it is little philosophical and poetic and not everyone like it na?… But do i recommend it, yes I do. 🙂